Courting Miss Greene Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Mrs. Greene calmed down while she studied the ring. "That's a fine heirloom, dear," she observed. "I suppose they've already accepted you into the family."

Lizzy smiled. "They have."

"Then you have every reason to be perfectly happy," continued Mrs. Greene.

"I am!"

Mrs. Greene looked into Lizzy's eyes. "Then why were you crying when you came home yesterday?" she asked.

Lizzy looked away. "Oh, I was just being sentimental... as usual," she answered.

"You've always been a bad liar," her mother replied. "Your father and I reckoned somebody must have mistreated you in some way. I'm willing to believe it wasn't Robert, but then... who?"

Lizzy's breath deepened while she gathered her courage. "I cried yesterday because... because... when I saw dad, I remembered I almost didn't make it home!" she blurted out and broke down in tears.

"What do you mean, dear?" asked Mrs. Greene.

"We weren't delayed because Abby had gotten sick," answered Lizzy. Between sobs, the girl went on to explain how she and her sister were carried off by bandits toward a fate worse than death, and how the others heroically came to their rescue.

Mrs. Greene's blood curdled while she listened to the tale, but she managed to regain her composure when Lizzy reassured her the King's men had finally restored safety to the area. "I can understand why Ginny didn't want to tell us in a letter," she said, "but when you came home... surely, you know you can tell your father and me anything."

"I know, mom," said Lizzy, "but dad might have asked questions and we didn't want to hurt Robert's chances."

"How so?" asked Mrs. Greene. "Your father would be grateful to learn Robert helped to save you and Abby."

"Well, it was something about politics," answered Lizzy.

Mrs. Greene's heart missed a beat. "Robert's not a Royalist, is he?"

"I'm afraid so," confirmed Lizzy.

"I should have guessed," said Mrs. Greene with a sigh. "Wealth and power always seem to go hand in hand. You know your father sees that as a recipe for disaster."

"But Robert says it helps to get things done when you have a network like that," said Lizzy, "otherwise those brigands would still be roaming the forest!"

"Oh, sure there are benefits," her mother replied, "but for a girl like you, to live in such an environment--"

"I know, mom," interrupted Lizzy. "It's going to be hard, but I'm sure I'll manage somehow. I'd do anything to be with Robert!"

Mrs. Greene blinked at her youngest daughter, impressed with the girl's determination. "I see," she said. "I'll keep your little secret for now, because your father's going to throw a fit when he finds out."

"Oh, mom! You would?" asked Lizzy in surprise.

Mrs. Greene let out a deep sigh. "Oh, well. Remember what I've always said about honesty in marriage. I'll wait until you and Robert have gone back to Northfair. Then your father can rave all he wants and by the time he sees you again, it won't be an issue... At least I won't allow him to make a fuss about it."

"Really?" Lizzy flung her arms around her mother's neck. "Thanks so much, mom! That really means a lot to me!"

Mrs. Greene returned her daughter's embrace. "There's nothing I wouldn't do for my little girls!" she said, wondering to herself whether she was allowing the girl to walk straight into a lion's den.

~*~

Abby stood with her arms folded across the chest, shaking her head. "Honestly, Lizzy! You didn't truly believe for one second father would actually refuse Robert. I mean, he's not half as bad as Ethan was."

"Excuse me?" protested Ethan while his wife and parents suppressed a chuckle.

"Well, Mr. Greene did have me sweating in there for a moment," admitted Robert. He shot a glance at his future father-in-law, who was sitting back in his armchair with an amused expression on his face.

Lizzy lifted her tear-stained face from her fiancé's chest. "I've waited so long for this moment!" she cried and buried her face back in his shirt again.

"Well then, I suppose that's settled," said Mr. Greene. "And does anybody else have any questions for me?" he asked, glancing at Thomas.

The young man promptly jumped to his feet. "Well, actually--"

"No, Thomas!" hissed Abby under her breath.

"May I have your permission to court Abby, sir?" he asked, pretending not to have heard her.

Mr. Greene blinked at him. "You for Abigale?" he asked. "Why, of course. I wish you good luck, boy." He chuckled into his fist, musing the young suitor would be needing all the luck he could get.

"Thank you, sir," said Thomas with a little bow and returned to his seat.

"Father...!" protested Abby in astonishment. "Just like that?"

"Well, I couldn't give such a perfectly nice, young gentleman a hard time just for the sake of it," explained Mr. Greene. "Or did you find any faults with him you'd like to tell me about?"

A hush fell over the parlor. It seemed as if everybody was holding their breath. From the corner of her eye, Abby noticed Thomas clutching his knees. "No, I didn't," she answered in a small voice and sat down in her chair.

Mr. Greene gave his daughter a stern look. "Then I expect you'll give him a fair chance."

"Yes, father," replied Abby in a meek voice. She stared at the floor, avoiding Thomas' gaze. She felt sure she would get angry with him if he looked in any way triumphant. Then again, Abby realized she did owe him a spank now. When she pictured the scene in her mind, she had to purse her lips to keep herself from grinning.

~*~