Mary and Alvin Ch. 23

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She stepped over the mounded rows of soil to the fence of the alpaca pasture. A pair of the wooly creatures, one white, the other rusty brown, watched her for a moment, then went back to their foraging. Most of the rest were lolling in the shade of the barn. When he neared the gate, Virgil, the donkey, sauntered over to greet her. He reached his head over the top rail, and Mary stroked his mane and scratched him under his chin.

"You know I brought you a treat, don't you, sweet boy?" she said. She took an apple from the pocket of her sweater and held it out to him. He grabbed it in his teeth and gobbled it down. Mary patted his neck and continued her walk.

She entered the cool shade of the grove, pulling her sweater up around herself. Standing in the middle of the clearing, she looked around, closed her eyes and recalled her wedding day. Her family was there, and all of Alvin's. Friends from work and from the town had surrounded them. She remembered the smell of lilacs on that day as well.

Stepping out of the grove, she walked along the edge of the woods. The Queen Anne's lace was high in the margin between the field and the trees, and she ran her hand through it as she walked. When she reached the path that led down to the stream, she turned into the shade of the towering pines. She barely noticed the cloud of blackflies that swarmed around her, idly brushing them from her face.

As she nearly the stream, she heard a splash. She stopped and peered past the trees. Sunlight glittered through the brush. She ducked under the low hanging branches, carefully avoiding the scattered clumps of undergrowth. She was deathly afraid of ticks. When she was a few steps from the water, she heard splashing again, this time, several splashes in succession. A streak of motion on the opposite bank caught her eye, and she leaned further forward just in time to see a long, sleek otter slide down the muddy bank into the stream. As she watched, two more otters climbed out of the water and scampered up the bank. She laughed out loud as they turned and took their turns on the slide. When they reached the water, their heads popped up above the surface and all three otters looked right at her.

Mary smiled and stepped back to the path. She rubbed her belly. Look, baby, she said to herself, you will grow up in a place where you watch otters play. You will see deer and foxes and eagles. Your daddy will teach you how to tell all these kinds of trees apart and he will teach you the names of a hundred different birds. And we will love you and love you and love you.

She continued down the path until she reached the beaver pond. The spring rains and winter snow runoff had caused it to swell over its banks, and the water nearly reached her bench. There was just enough room for her to sidle over to it and sit down.

Shielding her eyes, she gazed across the glistening water. A heron stood on a log near the far bank, its head jerking from side to side, searching for prey. She scowled at it, wishing it would fly away. Be rational, she told herself; its just a bird, it has to eat. But she was not in a mood to be tolerant of any creature that preyed on smaller things. Closer by, a pair of mallards swam past her, and their quiet grace lifted her spirits again.

Mary had realized that morning that her pregnancy had passed the point at which her first had come to it's tragic termination. She had hesitated to mention the milestone to Alvin, fearful that to speak of it aloud might be some sort of jinx. But now, she thought of all the life around her. The alpacas in their pastures and the corn stalks that seemed a little taller every day. The creatures in the woods and the birds on the pond. The tiny fish flitting about in the water only inches from her feet. Even the nettlesome swarming flies.Nothing is more powerful than life, she thought, and I have life inside me. I am the hub of the universe. She stood up and touched her belly with both hands. "We can do this,baby," she said aloud, "You and I, we can do this."

***

The asphalt shimmered from the heat, but just on general principles, Alvin refused to turn on the air conditioning in his car, even though the temperature had topped ninety degrees. He had lugged the air conditioner from Mary's apartment up the stairs to cool their bedroom for her, and she kept the a/c blasting on full cool when she was in the car, but it gave him the sniffles. Besides, the sea breeze had kicked in and would soon begin to cool things off.

He finished the last of his Coke as he turned on to Puddledock Road. It was warm and flat, and he grimaced as he swallowed it, then burped loudly. Glancing over at the pond, he saw Jennifer, lying on her back at the end of the dock, dangling her feet in the water.

He pulled into the driveway, but rather than go on to the house, he stopped halfway and got out of the car. Walking toward the pond, he felt the heat of the sun on his head. She must be baking down there, he thought.

Jennifer looked up when he stepped on to the dock.

"Oh, hi, Daddy," she smiled.

"Baby, ain't you roasting out here?" He dropped to one knee beside her.

Jennifer shook her head. "It's not so bad. The water's cool and the hard surface makes my back hurt less."

She struggled to sit up. Alvin put his hands under her shoulders and lifted her to a seated position.

"Thanks, Daddy. This kid is really going to owe me."

"Your mother used to say that about you and your sister."

Jennifer sighed. "I was a big baby, too, wasn't I?"

"You were a behemoth. Almost nine pounds. Your mother had to get stitches."

"Jeezum. Don't tell me that!" She picked up her water bottle and took a long drink.

"You talked to Mary today?" Alvin asked.

"Yeah, a while ago. I wish I was doing as well as her."

"Well, she's taking it easy, while you are working. I worry that you might push yourself too hard."

"She's got to take it easy, after the last time. But, I still feel a little jealous."

"Maybe you should have timed it a mite better, so's not to be pregnant until after you finished harvesting."

"Yeah, I thought about that, like the day after I got pregnant. On the other hand, the baby will come just as the slow season begins, so that's good."

Alvin watched the water ripple as Jennifer's feet slowly paddled back and forth. He stood, slipped off his own shoes and socks and rolled up his pant legs. He sat down next to her and plunged his feet into the cool pond.

"Oh, yes, that feels wicked good."

Jennifer grunted, then took her father's hand and placed it on her swollen belly. "Feel that?"

Alvin waited a minute, then felt the slightest bump under his hand. He broke into a broad smile.

"I think the last time I felt a baby kick it was you."

She rested her head on his shoulder, "So, Daddy," she said, "When's the last time anybody asked you how you are doing?"

"I'm doing just fine," he said, rubbing her back.

"Are you sure? You seems a little, I don't know, distant...like something's bothering you."

"Well..." he looked out at the pond, gathering his thoughts. "There is something that has been on my mind."

"Tell me, Daddy."

"I'm forty eight years old and about to father a child. Jen, do you realize that I will be in my sixties when he or she graduates from high school?"

"Yeah, Dad, that's not hard math."

"Now, don't be a wiseacre, I'm serious here."

"Daddy, you'll probably live to ninety."

"Neither of my parents did."

"Grandpa's death was an accident, that doesn't count."

"You think I can't have an accident?"

"I think it's unlikely."

"You never even knew him, my father. He was gone before you were born."

"As much as people say that you are like him, I think we would have got along pretty good."

"Oh, he'd have thought you were a pisser."

Jennifer offered him her water bottle. He took a drink and handed it back. They sat in silence for a while, watching a water bug dance across the surface of the pond.

"I'd ask a favor," Alvin said.

Jennifer wrapped her arm around his. "Anything, Daddy."

"If anything should happen to me..."

"Oh, jeezum, nothing's going to happen to you."

"...if anything should..."

"Don't even say it. I know what you are going to ask."

"I suppose you do."

"Danni and I, all of us, will watch over Mary and your baby if lightning should strike you, or a giant kraken yanks you off the dock or something."

"I know you will, but sometimes things need saying. Favors need asking."

"Alright, but it never occurred to me that I should ask the same of you."

'Well, I will take it that we have a pact between us." He kissed her head and stood up. She held up her hands and he took them, pulling her to her feet. He picked up his shoes and socks and walked up the grassy slope with his daughter. He kissed her again as she turned toward her house, and he continued across the field. Mary was sitting on the shady porch steps, waiting for him.

"Hey, sweetheart," she said as he reached the dooryard, "I am so hot, I couldn't make dinner."

"That's alright, why don't we go into town? Maybe sit out on the deck at the High Tide and catch the sea breeze?

"I like that. Give me a few minutes to freshen up and change."

They went into the house and Mary went upstairs, while Alvin washed his face and hands at the kitchen sink. When he finished, he went up to the bedroom and put on a fresh shirt. He looked into the bathroom. Mary was standing at the sink, brushing her hair. Alvin leaned in the doorway and watched her. She looked up and caught his gaze in the mirror.

"So what do you think about having such a big fat wife?" she asked.

"I'd love you no matter what. And you ain't big and fat, so if that was a trick question, I'm not falling into your trap."

Mary laughed and rubbed her belly.

"I felt Jen's baby kick, just now, down to the dock," He told her.

"Ours kicks now and then. If she starts up again, I'll let you know."

"She?"

Mary shrugged. "I just have a feeling."

"What happened to not personalizing the baby, in case...you know."

She turned and kissed him. "I'm not afraid any more. Everything is going to be fine. Now, I want a big plate of nachos."

"Did you eat any lunch?" he asked as they went down the stairs.

"Oh, yeah, I had a peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich."

Alvin shuddered.

"What? It was good. I can make you one for your lunch tomorrow."

"That's alright, darlin'. Let's just go get some nachos."

The High Tides' deck was crowded, but they managed to find a table on the rail, where they enjoyed the full benefit of the cool breeze blowing off the harbor.

They ordered a pitcher of ice tea and a large plate of nachos. "When I can eat shellfish again," Mary said, "I am going to completely pig out on lobsters."

"Ill tell you, Miss Mary, you have done a wicked fine job of turning yourself into a Mainer."

"Oh yeah, I've acclimated pretty well. I didn't even freak out last week when the coyote was in the yard."

"You freaked out a little bit."

"I did not. I was just worried about the alpacas."

"Virgil would have took care of him. Besides, I think he was more interested in the chickens."

Mary grew serious. "You know, it's interesting how your two daughters grew up in the same place, with the same parents, roughly the same experiences, and they turned out so different."

"I don't think they are that different," Alvin laughed, "A couple of foul mouthed troublemakers."

"Now, don't joke," she said, "One's going to law school, the other is farming. It's interesting to me, because I have been thinking a lot about what it will be like for our child to grow up here."

"Hard tellin', not knowin'," Alvin said, "I mean, this place is changing, seems pretty fast to me. Three, four new restaurants just since you moved here. There's that dollar store just opened by McDonalds. And there's a whole bunch of condos going up out the Searsmont Road. This is like to be a real city by the time our child is grown."

"I don't think it will really change, Alvin. Just be bigger and more of what it is."

"Like I said, hard tellin', not knowin'."

It was growing dark by the time they finished eating. As they were getting in the car, Mary said, "I'm still a little hungry."

"Jeezum crow," Alvin muttered. He turned left out of the parking lot, instead of right, toward home.

"Where are we going?" Mary asked, but Alvin was already turning in at the wharf. He stopped next to the diner and got out of the car.

"Be right back," he said. He unlocked the diner door and went inside. Mary got out of the car and stood in the driveway, raising her arms and letting the breeze flow over her.

Alvin came back and handed her a popsicle. "You like cherry, right?" he asked.

"Oh, thank you, baby." She unwrapped her popsicle and began to suck on it. "This probably gives you ideas, doesn't it?"

"It don't take much to give me those ideas where you're concerned." He began licking his own popsicle and held out his hand. Mary took it and they strolled down the driveway into the boatyard.

Alvin led her to the launch. The tide was three quarters full and the water came nearly to the top of the sloped ramp.

Mary watched as Alvin removed his shoes and socks. "What the hell are you doing?" she asked as he unbuckled his belt and began to lower his pants.

"Cooling off," he said. He tossed his shoes and pants up to the top of the ramp and waded knee deep into the water.

Mary hesitated a moment, then took off her own shoes and pushed down her stretch pants. She stepped forward and tested the water with her toes. It was warmer than she had expected. She waded in up to her ankles, and then her knees. As the water grew deeper, it felt cooler. Alvin took off his shirt, balled it up and threw it up the ramp. Mary nearly slipped as she walked toward him, but he grabbed her hand and pulled her to him. He took her in his arms and kissed her.

"Feels refreshing, don't it?" he asked.

"It feels great," she said. She turned and waded in a little deeper.

"The bottom of your shirt is getting wet," Alvin warned her. She pulled it over her head and handed it to him. He tossed it with his own.

Mary held out her hand and Alvin took it. They slowly descended the ramp, the water rising to their hips, then above Mary's full belly.

"Baby's first swim," she laughed. As she waded deeper, the water gave buoyancy to her belly, and she could feel the muscles in her abdomen loosen and relax. "Oh, Alvin," she said, "this feels like heaven."

Alvin moved behind her and put his hands on her hips. "Lean back, honey."

Mary leaned against him. He kissed the side of her face.

"Pick up your feet," he told her.

Mary hesitated.

"Trust me."

She lifted her feet and he slipped his hands under her, taking her weight as she rose and began to float. She spread her arms out straight from her sides and slowly kicked her feet.

"Don't let go of me," she whispered.

"Never."

She closed her eyes. It was if she were floating in space, with only the touch of Alvin's hands tethering her to Earth. Inside her, she felt the baby stir. She opened her eyes and looked up at the night sky.

When you wish upon a star...

"Alvin, let me down," she said in a quiet voice. He took several steps backward, guiding her into shallower water, then lowered her down until her feet touched bottom. The water gently caressed her breasts.

"Feel," she said when she had found her balance. She took him by the wrists and guided his hands to her belly.

Alvin closed his eyes and bowed his head. The only sound was the rhythmic lapping of the waves. He felt a motion against his hands, so slight at first that he thought he had imagined it, but then stronger, unmistakable.

"Hello baby," he whispered.

Mary turned and reached her arms over his shoulders. His silhouette was barely visible in the darkness, but starlight twinkled in his eyes. They kissed, then gathered their clothes and walked up to the diner. Alvin unlocked the door and they went inside, where they dried themselves off with paper towels from the bathroom.

"Grab a couple more of those popsicles," Mary said as they left.

Mary leaned over and let her head lay outside the car window, enjoying the feeling of the wind as it brushed her face and rippled her hair.

"What are you thinking about, Miss Mary?" Alvin asked.

"Danni told me a Jewish saying," Mary said, pulling her head back inside, "That when someone saves a life they save an entire world."

"I've heard that," Alvin nodded.

"I wonder then, when he create a life, aren't we creating an entire world?"

"I believe we are, sweetheart," he smiled, "I believe we are."

***

Mary looked out the window at the thunderheads looming on the horizon.

"The sky looks like it's bruised," she said as she sat down at the kitchen table. She winced and arched her back.

"You alright, honey?" Alvin asked, "You having another contraction already?"

"Yeah, but it's more in my back," she said, frowning.

Alvin put a plate of spaghetti in front of her, and sat down.

"Maybe after supper I can give you a back rub, see if that helps."

"That would be lovely, thank you."

"Looks to be a hell of a storm coming," Alvin said between mouthfuls of spaghetti. "I'll take a look and make sure that the livestock is all battened down."

"I'm sure Jennifer has it taken care of."

Alvin laughed. "I get a kick out of her out there, waddling around, doing all her chores. The girl's a scrapper."

"I wish I could be more active," Mary frowned.

"We just have to be cautious, honey."

"I know, but..." She sat up straight, a look of pain on her face.

Alvin looked at her with concern, his fork dangling strands of pasta.

"Alvin, how long apart were those contractions?" she asked.

"Five minutes, maybe?"

Mary nodded. "I think maybe you ought to get the go bag, honey."

"It's almost two weeks early."

"I don't think the baby has a calendar, sweetheart."

Alvin got up from the table and fetched the pre-packed suitcase from the bedroom. Mary was by the door, leaning on the kitchen counter when he came back downstairs.

"You ready?" he asked.

"Just a minute," she said, grimacing. She blew out a deep breath, then said, "Let's go."

"Jeezum crow, I hope we beat the rain," Alvin said as he helped Mary into the car.

Mary called the doctor, and then her mother as Alvin sped toward town.

"Mom, I think it's time," she said.

"Oh, dear. It's early, is everything all right?"

"I think so, we will call you as soon as we have any news."

"Alright, sweetheart, I love you both."

"Thank you, Mom, love you, too."

There was a tremendous crack of thunder as Mary hung up the phone. She chuckled to herself. Someday Alvin is going to tell our child a tall tale about the terrible storm on the night they were born, she thought.

They pulled into the hospital parking lot just as the first fat drops of rain hit the pavement. Alvin rushed in to get a wheelchair, but Mary just got out of the car and walked inside.

"Jeezum crow, Mary, sit down," he said, pushing the chair toward her. She did not feel that she needed it but sat anyway. He wants to feel like he's doing something, she thought. He wheeled her to the Birth Center.

"Call the girls and let them know," Mary said as the nurse took her into triage.

Alvin went into the waiting room and called Jennifer. She answered on the first ring.

"Danni will be home in about an hour, we will come down," she said when he told her they were at the hospital.

"We aren't sure yet that it's the real thing. Hate to see you come out in a storm for a false alarm."

"Does Mary think it's a false alarm?"

"She doesn't seem to."

"Right. See you in an hour."

He called Charlotte and left a message when he got no answer. He went to the nurse's station and they took him into the birthing room. Mary was not there. The nurse informed him that she was in the shower and would be out shortly. He stood by the window, tapping his foot nervously and watching as sheets of rain swept across the parking lot.