Tips to Write Erotica & Get Readers

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It's definitely a minority kink. More of their titles include Golden Bukkake Beach, Dildoed, Diapered, and Dicked on Xmas, to name just a few.

The good news is that anyone who clicks on your story will likely enjoy it. Be sure the title makes it clear which fetish it's about.

One fetish that people either LOVE or HATE is cuckolding (which is very different from cuckqueaning). Some men love the idea of their wife being fucked by one or more other men (there are entire online websites dedicated to it), but others hate it, and they'll chuck bombs (horrible comments and low scores) at every cuckold story they encounter. My one real attempt, Willingly Cuckolded by Love, has only a 4.45 score, and yet over 380,000 reads, over 500 favourites and 91 comments (not all nice... actually quite an intriguing pro and con collection).

Oddly, I've twice won an award for best fetish story. In 2015, the other narrative in the Kinky Tales series I'm Pegged by My Wife, and in 2020 Spiced-Up Marriage: A Big Surprise.

So this is a great category for those who want to specialize in a forbidden, less mainstream kink.

FIRST TIME

A pretty straightforward category about people's first times. Although I have never written in this category, it's one that gets a decent number of reads.

GAY

This is a tricky category. I get as many emails about my gay stories as I do about my incest stories... even though the total reads is likely 10-1, favouring incest.

Yet my scores always tend to be just okay. I'm not complaining, but this is a category I haven't quite figured out yet. Most of my gay stories are about straight men discovering their love of cock sucking, and they tend to focus on submissive ones. People who love them, really love them. That said, many of the best gay stories tend to be more authentic and real... which unfortunately isn't my forte.

If you can write a raw, emotional gay story, perhaps with some romance, you can do very, very well. Pretty much all of the all-time top stories here are more intimate... but I get tons of emails from readers about how I helped them cross the line, or the way my stories spoke to them. My HypnoSissy series for example gets limited reads, but likely the most emails, and the most questions asking when the next chapter will be released.

I also get tons of emails like this one I got today (I'm writing this on July 7, 2022):

Hi. Love your stories. I need to thank you. The stories helped me take the plunge into gay sex. I met a stranger and let him use my holes. I loved it and can't wait to find some bbc. Your stories helped me become a cocksucker.

I should note the majority of my gay stories are also about white men succumbing to the fascination of BBC... another wicked taboo that appeals to a certain readership... but these will also lead to a number of low scores from readers who simply hate BBC stories.

Either way, gay stories are a great way to reach a certain subsection of readers.

GROUP SEX

Orgies... gangbangs... etc. This is a fantasy that many men dream of taking part in some day, but more women than many would think possible also fantasize about it.

These are often the hardest stories to write, though. The more characters you involve, the more details you need to provide. It's easy to ignore some of the characters for too long, or to make the various sex interactions confusing.

That said, they're some of the hottest sex scenes I've ever read, and I think that I've written. In my opinion, the following stories all have some amazing sex scenes:

-Swinger's Party: Halloween Train

-Accidental Gangbang

-American Slut Warrior

-One Night in Hedo Island

-Book Club Orgy

One night in Bangkok has a 4.79 score, and it gets among the most requests for a sequel... which has recently been added to my to do list.

This category does get quite a few reads, so it's a great one to write a story for, but again, the stories are more challenging to craft than almost any other category.

Interesting that the highest score on the all-time list is 4.87.

HOW TO

A very limited category (I'll see how this essay goes, since this is my first attempt in this category), but it's a great one for giving advice about anything you want. This includes writing proper dialogue, how to write (perhaps better than my long-winded rambling in this essay) and a plethora of other subjects.

That said, this category isn't about sex. It's about how to (although there are some that teach how to perform certain sex acts LOL).

HUMOR AND SATIRE

While I try to include humour in my stories when it works, I'm not overly funny. I've been told that very bluntly in my real life... by people who love me.

So assessing this category is above my pay grade.

ILLUSTRATED

This is one of the most interesting categories. One that has become more popular with myself and the great HeyAll in the past year or two (as well as others). But let's make some things clear:

-The pictures you use must be approved by the model or owner of the pictures, so you can't just gather pics off the internet.

-Illustrated stories get the second most reads after incest (although like I said earlier, I'm not sure they're all read and not just perused), but they get almost no favourites.

For example, let's look at my four NUDE DAY contest stories for this year:

June 17, 2022 Executive Park: A Close Shave (illustrated)

June 26, 2022 OnlyFamily (incest)

July 1, 2022 Freeuse Faggot (gay)

July 6, 2022 Mommy's Stuck (incest)

Executive 101,542 reads, 4.60 score, 767 votes, 39 comments, 40 favourites

OnlyFam 73,226 reads, 4.77 score, 1345 votes, 104 comments, 244 favourites

Freeuse 19,703 reads, 4.55 score, 437 votes, 25 comments, 58 favourites

Mommy 75,151 reads, 4.60 score, 1851 votes, 36 comments, 181 favorites

As you can see, while the illustrated one has the most reads, it has the least number of favourites... something I've never really understood.

I should note that there is also a difficult balance between using the visuals to enhance the story. The visuals can just as easily take away from the plot.

You'll also see that the first incest one got the highest score, and more votes and favourites.

So illustrated has a great perk in getting readers to check you out, but that comes with the flaw of a lack of favourites, and often lower than normal scores.

INCEST

I've discussed incest earlier, so I won't go into much more detail here, but serendipity seemed to flower since I released Mommy's Stuck yesterday (July 6th), and it's already demonstrating the power of the category and all the things I've mentioned earlier.

In the first day, during a contest event (the story was posted near the top of the page (fifth down)), with the use of the word 'Mommy' and a variety of incest tags, the story had 91,231 reads in its first day.

If you scroll up to the data from just above, you can see how lining up all these suggestions can lead to an epic first day in reads.

PS: the fact the story is a super simplistic one about a mom getting stuck under the bed and then fucked by her son is irrelevant. I think it's a good story, but not even close to one of my best. Even so, its reads will get me some new followers. I mean I went from 41,523 to 41,562 in a single day, and recruiting almost 40 new followers in a day at this stage of my career is always impressive (but mostly it's the power of the incest category).

I don't know how much this is based on the release of the story, but I know it's a large part of it, since I had over a hundred older stories favourited by readers in the 24 hours since the release of Mommy's Stuck.

So again, although incest stories almost never win contests, they get the most reads and have long-term residual impact on your readership for a majority of your other stories.

INTERRACIAL LOVE

Perhaps the title is a little deceptive... as the majority of the stories tend not really to be about love (although many of the top ranked ones are).

If you want to hit the top lists, you need to write an authentic story that focuses on love that crosses races.

Most of mine are more taboo... which has both benefits and flaws.

Benefits:

-Many readers have a fetish for interracial sex, so many of them will read your work simply because it's in this category.

-Although there's a plethora of black-white stories in this category, interracial means a relationship between any two races.

-The category can include sweet and simple, or raw and racially charged.

Flaws:

-It's way too easy to find yourself stereotyping.

-The line between being perceived as a racist or not is very thin, and it's getting thinner every year. I've been accused more than once of being a racist for writing interracially charged stories, and I see their point. When a writer focuses on the differences between races, it can be seen as being racist, even if the intention is to glorify the differences. So although many people fantasize about having sex with a man or woman of a different race, there will be those who are justifiably offended because stereotypes and profiling are used to illustrate the fetish. In other words, here's a clear warning: you'll have readers who love reading racially taboo stories, but others will castigate you just for daring to write such a 'horrible' story in the first place.

LESBIAN SEX

This is my favourite category to read and to write. Most of my lesbian stories follow a submissive and dominant theme, and they all get good read counts, votes, favourites and scores. Yet my highest rated lesbian story is this year's romantic Fate of the Fishbowl. Like in the gay and interracial sections, the top scores tend to be for the romantic stories... the only problem with romantic stories is they tend to get way less reads (where the perk is higher scores).

In a Pornhub survey a few years ago, lesbian was the number one searched-for word. And lesbian stories are popular with both men and women. The category is quite complex.

Men come looking for vivid lesbian sex scenes.

Women come looking for exploration of same sex sex. Over 60% of women have lesbian fantasies, and an increasing number of women are beginning to explore their curiosity. Some are submissive and they often imagine being seduced by a younger woman, while others are dominant and imagine themselves seducing another woman, and still others just want to have sex with another woman. Therefore there are many plots you can write about that target different groups of readers.

LETTERS & TRANSCRIPTS

This has a very low readership, as it features a very different type of story. It likely won't find you many readers, but the odds of your being recognized in this category is more likely than in just about any other one.

LOVING WIVES

I discussed this category earlier. Although its called Loving Wives, the stories tend to be about themes quite different from monogamy... married extra-marital fun: swinging, sharing & more.

It's wild that on one hand many men will lambaste a story about a woman cheating, swinging and so forth, while on the other hand, many of them list this as their number one category.

If you write in this category, be prepared to get criticized... a lot. That said, you will also receive a lot of positive email and comments as well, and potentially a lot of reads.

MATURE

This category is somewhat niche, yet quite popular. Although it could be about two older people, it tends more to be stories about young men fucking older MILFS, or less commonly, younger girls getting fucked by DILFS.

This category gets lots of reads, and although I haven't written a lot of mature stories, the ones I have submitted have all received a lot of reads, comments, and reasonable scores.

Unlike most categories, this one doesn't have much of a downside. Readers who choose to read stories in the mature category tend to find exactly what they came for.

MIND CONTROL

This is a very unique category, and one I used to read a lot before I became a writer. Ironically, I've only written a couple of mind control stories, including the lengthy Revenge of the Nerd series.

Mind control doesn't get many reads, but like mature, the readers in this category tend to be supportive of the stories.

NON-ENGLISH

I don't have any advice for this one, as unfortunately I don't speak any other languages.

NON-EROTIC

This category is rarely used, since it features stories that aren't about sex. It's an interesting place to go and read for a change of pace. That said, since this essay is about erotica, I won't give any advice here.

NONCONSENT/RELUCTANCE

Like BDSM, this one can be quite extreme... although surprisingly, it seems to attract fewer reads than BDSM. The main difference is while BDSM usually occurs with the full consent of the participants, this category usually has women being forced or coerced into doing things they usually wouldn't do.

Of course for some women this is their fantasy, so they'll enjoy getting immersed into it... I know I sometimes do.

NONHUMAN

Like a few other categories, this one is quite popular, and yet completely not my style. That said, if you're into aliens, ghosts, robots and so forth, this is a great category to find your readers. It's also a category that allows you to be really creative... something I lack in this genre (although a ghost story could be fun).

NOVELS AND NOVELLAS

Because of their length, many readers will be scared off before they even click on one of these stories. Yet for those who want a long story... with multiple plots... and complex characters... this category is great.

The perk for a writer is you won't get many readers who only like stroke stories, so they won't be voting. But the ones who do read your story will sit down, grab a glass of wine, and immerse themselves in your plot and characters. For example, novels and novellas was a perfect place for Deconstructing the Professor, a very long story of mine that takes a long time to get to the sex.

That said, you will get fewer reads in this category.

This is also where you will find some of the best writers.

REVIEWS & ESSAYS

This category doesn't get a lot of reads, but it has been very good for me. I write an end of the year essay each year, and many of the ones in my Twenty Questions series have been nominated for and/or won best essay of the year.

It's a safe place to share your thoughts and insights about whatever, since people who click on it will have a good idea of what they're about to read. Not a sex story... although sometimes a conversation about sex.

ROMANCE

At first I was surprised that this category isn't widely read. Then I remembered this is a porn site. People don't come here for romance, they come to get off. So naturally this category isn't well frequented.

Paradoxically, many of the top stories in many categories are romantic in nature.

So writing a romance for Literotica can be great... just post it in another category.

For example, my only romance story Serendipity has had 46,600 reads in over nine years. (But keep in mind that my lighthearted romp Mommy's Stuck, released yesterday, has gotten 91,231 reads in just twenty-four hours.)

SCI-FI & FANTASY

Like Nonhumans, this is not my forte, but it's a category that the readers who like sci-fi love. So if you can write authentic sci-fi or fantasy and spice it up, you should be able to develop a good following here. But unless this is a genre you're very familiar with and have a passion for, I'd stay away from it.

TOYS & MASTURBATION

Another rarely read category, and I've only done one... a chapter in my Church Girl series. That said, it's a great place to focus on describing the pleasure... and less on the plot.

TRANSGENDER & CROSSDRESSERS

This category is quite popular. Like incest, it's often about the taboo. I don't mean this in a rude or demeaning way, since happily in the past few years people's understanding of transgender has evolved greatly. Trans stories tend to be popular among both men and women.

Men... many men fantasize about sucking a cock... or getting fucked... and doing it with someone who is feminine and has breasts makes it seem less gay. I've corresponded with lots of men who've wanted to be... or have even been with a trans person.

Women... some women love the beauty of a feminine body... but have little interest in a pussy... but a feminine body with a cock is a beautiful sight.

I have written many trans stories, my Trans Summer story from last summer is my fifth most popular story of all time with a 4.84 score, and the main character Lucy is up for sexiest trans character of 2022.

One of my other fav stories is Shemale School, a novella of sorts, starring yours truly taking a new position as a teacher at an all-girl boarding school, where unbeknownst to me (at first) all the students are shemales. (As the story progresses, I'm sorry to say... not... I fail to maintain my usual professional standards.)

This category gets a reasonable number of reads, and prompts a higher than average number of emails asking about future stories.

SEVENTEEN: GET AN EDITOR

I do a decent job of editing my own stories... but decent isn't good enough. Even though the stories on this website are free to read, and you don't get paid to publish your stories on it, people will still lambaste you for poor grammar, spelling, etc..

So, get an editor... or two... or three... you can never have too many people poring over your work and making suggestions.

That said, remember to be humble, because sometimes an editor will push your limits.

And if they're good... pay attention to their feedback... and your writing will benefit.

I've had the luxury of a dozen great editors over time... and not just for grammar... but content... style... plot changes... embellishments...

And... editors have made me into a better writer, and they've made my stories better, too.

[Tip from Tex for the editors: An approach that's always worked very comfortably and effectively for me... and I think for Jasmine too... is that I always feel free to comment upon, add to, or change absolutely anything, if I think it will improve the story. But it's important that I have Word busily tracking everything I do, so with a click or two, Jasmine can undo anything she doesn't like. And when she doesn't like something I've done, I never argue my case... it's her story after all, not mine.]

[Tip 2: This approach will only work with writers as approachable as Jasmine is. Some writers are far more up tight and defensive about their writing, poor things.]

EIGHTEEN: MY PROCEDURE

I think I've already mentioned I don't plan my sex scenes in advance, but actually I don't even plan my stories in advance.

I just start writing with a basic plot in mind, and allow the story to unfold however it does. Which means that many times the story I start to write and the one that ends up on the page is completely different... to the extent that even I am surprised by where it went.