All Comments on 'A Sort of Homecoming'

by rearden_steel_2

Sort by:
  • 10 Comments
PolyLvrPolyLvrover 9 years ago
He was a cad.

This is the part where being a man comes in. He had responsibilities at home, a woman he purportedly loved and almost two children.

So twenty years of marriage and numerous postings had taken the glow off his marriage. So what. He owed her his allegiance just as she owed him hers. No matter his service to his country, I feel nothing but disgust for him. His actions negated any goodwill towards him.

If this were to happen IRL, I would hope he would at least have the courtesy to never contact his former family again. At this point she could move on. But then again, if he could so cavalierly dispose of his wife and children, methinks he won't lose any sleep over it. His new paramour should also be disgusted with his behaviour, soul mates or not.

rearden_steel_2rearden_steel_2over 9 years agoAuthor
Um, a cad? No

...he's dead, gone or condemned to the hell that his paramore has wrought. Please read the comments in No Going Home.

People wanted more. I gave them more. Oh well, still too subtle I guess. Thanks for the comment.

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
Well written

This was one of the few realistic stories about the military that I have read on this site. I have had the unfortunate duty of performing a next of kin notification and I am not ashamed to say that I behaved just as your captain did. I cried. Walking up to that door, knowing that you are not just going to pull the rug out from under the family behind that door, you are about to destroy their entire future way of life. I would be willing to bet that you have had the same experience in order to portray the scene so accurately. The service member is not the only one to make the ultimate sacrifice. The family does too!!! I rated both stories *****

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
No complaints here!

Normally I don't like 'husband cheats on good wife' storylines, but having read both entries now I was very impressed with both! I did have to read the other story twice to catch the subtleties, but it was all very well done. I seldom remember to rate and have never before commented, but you got both from me. Thank you for two very well written, emotionally charge stories where even the husband who cheats on his wife makes sense.

Chief3BlanketChief3Blanketover 9 years ago

I get the impression that this story is incomplete and needs to address what happend to Jack and his wife.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
balance

We know that life can never be completely in balance, but these two stories are crying out for a finale to offer some healing to the bruised characters - maybe through the son eventually traveling and coming across his father? Just saying.

rearden_steel_2rearden_steel_2about 9 years agoAuthor
From the author. Thanks but

...as i noted before "he's dead, gone or condemned to the hell that his paramore has wrought. Please read the comments in No Going Home."

Jack Sr. can't meet his son. Sometimes there is no happy ending. Although arguably having a healthy Jack Jr. might be small consolation.

CarolSoCalCarolSoCalover 7 years ago
Really s touching story

This should be mandatory reading for everyone so we all understand what our service members and there spouse endure.

AnonymousAnonymous11 months ago

Did not care for this it was too sad and it wasn't an incest story and why is it on this site?????????????????????

CryDeWolfCryDeWolf7 months ago

Oddly reading this story many years after it was written my only comment will be… it was nicely written, the use of the c word ruins so many stories and the whole premise of the two stories was an affront to being a true man. No honor, no soul, no way. Piss on this being a veteran story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous