Coming From Behind Ch. 07-08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Let me help you with that. I don't intend to have you as a short-term lover. I have longer range plans if I can convince you."

"How long is longer?"

"I'm not trying to scare you but what I mean is ... I'm thinking ... lifetime."

"Terry, this is way too soon for that. I know I have strong feelings for you and it seems that you feel the same way about me but ... let's just see how this goes for a while ... okay?"

"As long as I have you with me ... yeah ... okay."

I got a deep, meaningful kiss at that point. I was almost sure she was thinking the same way I was but wasn't ready to commit herself. Perhaps she wanted me to prove myself, prove that it wasn't just a fling or a no-commitment relationship. I had no intention of any such thing but she couldn't be sure of that. I would have to go along until she was convinced. In the meantime, I had all the benefits that I could ever ask for.

Brett Milbank had brought a young graduate architecture out to meet me, Catherine, and Scotty. He was interested in the design of the clubhouse and pro shop and wanted to present some sketches. His name was James Howland and he was trying to make it on his own, picking up commissions on almost anything he could find. Brett said he was impressed with his ideas, so we agreed to meet with him.

The sketches were a waste. They simply didn't reflect what we thought the buildings should look like. To James' credit, he wasn't upset and wanted to talk to us about our conceptions and then have a look around the property. When he was done he admitted his designs weren't appropriate for the project but asked if he could submit some alternatives that might be more to our liking. Since he was talking about producing something in less than a week, we agreed. We were running on a tight time schedule to get this part of our rebuilding under way. It was important that we soon agreed on something we would be happy with.

True to his word, James returned with some computer rendered designs that looked much more like what we had envisioned. Questions were asked about building complexities and other cost related issues and it was then that we realized James was a pragmatist. Each of his designs was essentially modular and some of the work could be prefabricated. On top of that, the outside appearance would integrate into the landscape and when I saw what he was thinking I was pretty sure Delores Sandoval would be happy.

"Hi, Delores. Can you come out and meet with us to see some design concepts for the clubhouse. I think we may have found something you'll be pleased with."

"Of course, Terry. I'd be happy to. Would tomorrow morning early be okay?"

"Yes ... fine. I'll have the coffee on and some fresh pastries. We'll see you when you get here."

Delores turned up just after eight o'clock and joined us for coffee and Danish. I fired up the laptop and showed her James' design proposals.

"I like the second one, Terry. I think that would look very good on this site."

"Well, great minds think alike, so they say. Scotty, Catherine and I think the same way. You can't really tell from the graphic but the outside would be rough cedar with a slate tile roof. It has a low profile but still has ten to fifteen foot ceilings, depending on where you are. Have a look at the floor plan."

James had proposed a pentagon shaped building with the dining area and lounge in the point of the pentagon looking out over the ninth green and tenth tee. Delores watched as we explained what each area of the sixty-two-hundred square-foot building was used for. Within a half hour we had her full support for the design and even the exterior colors. We could go ahead and get the final drawings done and hopefully get approval to begin construction in early fall. I felt like a big load had been lifted off my back. I still had a deadline at the end of next year for removal of the portables but that seemed much more likely now.

We had two other needs that had to be filled. We needed a head greenskeeper to manage the course for Scotty, and we needed a teaching pro. Catherine had already stated that it wasn't something that she felt competent or interested in. We would have to advertise for both positions, with the greenskeeper position being the more urgent.

It would be some time before the presentation of what we hoped were the final plans would be made to council and construction could begin on the site. That removed any pressure on our taking the time for the Kent tournament. It was past due for all of us to take a break and I declared the middle two weeks of July an official paid holiday for our staff. Since that number was just three it wouldn't be a big burden on the budget.

Catherine and I had discussed strategy for the tournament and decided to go a couple of days early and play a round together even before the practice round. That would give us a chance to see what she would be facing in the way of challenges. I would bring a notebook this time, since neither of us had played this course before. She would tell me what to record and I would find markers for yardage. When she played the practice round I could confirm my distance measurements and make sure they were correct.

Catherine had a range-finder unit that I used to confirm specific distances. We were not allowed to use it in competition, however we were allowed to use it during the practice round and that would prove to be a valuable assist to us.

We arrived in Seattle late on a Tuesday morning and arranged for a round mid-afternoon. The club was a large, forty-year-old fixture that had hosted the LPGA Classic for almost two decades. It wasn't spectacularly long but it was narrow with plenty of trees, traps and water to catch errant shots. This was going to be quite a challenge for any of the golfers. In the back of my mind I felt Catherine had an advantage with her ever-straight drives and her high iron shots.

We had two things to learn. How hot was it likely to be and what influence would the shadows have. As it turned out, we would be playing in near ninety degree heat with little wind since the course was essentially in a valley. This would be a good test for both Catherine and me. For this first round she chose to use a pull cart while I carried my bag. I wanted to see what to expect during the tournament. It didn't take long to realize I would have to be at the top of my fitness if the temperature stayed like this.

We teed off just after one that afternoon and finished at five-thirty. I guessed that the tournament round would be at least a half hour longer so I knew what to expect. I was soaked in sweat and had consumed three bottles of water just to keep hydrated. Catherine had done the same, plus a Gatorade and an energy bar. She seemed to be handling the heat better than I did which surprised me considering she was from temperate Oregon and I was from the usually steaming-hot Midwest.

Fortunately, we were alone for our round and could spend a bit of time talking about how to approach each hole. Catherine would talk and I would listen. I knew almost right away that she was thinking out loud and I didn't interfere. This is where she was exceptional; preparation. Her four years on the tour had taught her just what level of dedication it took to be a pro and she hadn't forgotten nor had she discarded her habits when she left the tour.

We were staying in a relatively new suites hotel, only ten minutes from the course. It wasn't far to a number of restaurants so we could choose a variety of experiences during our stay. A stop at Albertson's stocked us up on breakfast and snack foods. I was still sticking with my improved diet while Catherine had never left hers.

We decided to shower back at the hotel after our game and I couldn't wait to wash the sticky sweat off me. We both shared the big unit and then lay on the bed for a brief rest before we went out for dinner. As I thought about it, we were behaving as if we were married, something that gave me a great deal of pleasure. I wondered if I'd know when Catherine was ready or would I have to ask her again ... perhaps several times. I was happy with the status quo but I knew in the end I would want more. Something that made it permanent.

To Be Continued