All Comments on 'Ten Days at Sea'

by jezzaz

Sort by:
  • 177 Comments
A_BierceA_Biercealmost 4 years ago

Marvelous.

Makes me think of poor Princess Margaret and Group Captain Peter Townsend. Or the Harry-Charles conundrum (which seems to me to be little more than delicious gossip). But you've written a grand story--something of a fairy tale, of course, but all the best stories are. Not just marvelous, brilliant! Thank you.

Boyd PercyBoyd Percyalmost 4 years ago

Great story! Wish I could give more than a 5.

29wordsforsnow29wordsforsnowalmost 4 years ago

Once again, a wonderful story to read. While I had the great pleasure to read it before, once more, I have the taste of the sea on my cheeks...or is it tears? Thanks for rescuing this Sleeping Beauty by putting the last word, the last dot onto the paper.

A highly detailed story with lots of respect for the characters, humor, twists and a magnificent vocabulary. You made an old man's heart jump and dance...splendid work!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Teriffic story, clever and different

Thanks for such an interesting and enjoyable story. Pacing was great, and liked the way the story was told. Another 5 and a fine effort.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Wonderful story.

Very well written, and you totally nailed the minor royal status and duties.

tennesseeredtennesseeredalmost 4 years ago
Well done

The duchess was well drawn as was Brett. Their personalities came out in the dialogue. Obviously some research was done. First rate story.

cybojicybojialmost 4 years ago
An old romantic

This is a killer. Not to be able to be with the one your supposed to be with.....it would be nice to think it all works out in the end. Never happens. Good work as always.5

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Great Story

This needs to have another chapter2

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago

So I am sitting here, lazily browsing around, looking for a story to keep me interested, starting one, reading a page, moving on - and then stumbling upon this gem! I honestly don't think there was anything in it I didn't like: Your writing style is great, your protagonists are memorable and oddly relatable, given their situation, the way you blend his first person narrative with your third person narrative worked really well for me, and I appreciate you ending on a hopeful but open note without having to go through the motions that stories here sometimes go through as if leaving them out was illegal: Proposal, marriage, happily ever after. Incredible work!

bigbob2406bigbob2406almost 4 years ago

Loved it!! Thank you very much.

SithLord6969SithLord6969almost 4 years ago

Sorry,

Great story but adultery doesn't get high marks in my book.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Not a huge fan.

She cheated and he was cheated out of his children. He can never have a relationship with them really. Honestly, the story just pisses me off.

woodmanonewoodmanonealmost 4 years ago
Excellent

Well worth the time spent reading it. Enjoyed the way you went back and forth between the present and the past. Well defined characters..I felt like I was right there with them.

Thank you for your hard work.

Woodmanone

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
A Wonderfully Written Yarn

For any romantics out there this is a story not to be missed! Great character development with a story line that is definitely different. I hope the author continues with Fiona's and Brett's life adventure.

rdcyclistrdcyclistalmost 4 years ago
Great Story! Loved it!

One of Jezzaz's best ever. I loved the character development even though Fiona's return at this point in their lives was a foregone conclusion. This could be a wonderful movie. Who would you see as the lead characters? I think it would be great.

A coupla quibbles and they are minor quibbles. Nobody with any experience on seagoing vessels uses front/back/left/right to describe points of direction on a ship/boat. A 40 foot sailing yacht is never called a ship; it's a boat or a yacht. The stairs on a container ship are always called ladders. That's about it.

Loved the story just as it is. IMHO, does not need another chapter but I would welcome it with open arms.

creammakercreammakeralmost 4 years ago
Well biblically speaking...

... Adultery in the eyes of God maybe bad, but he certainly did not condemn it viciously. He did blessed the adulterous union of King David and Bathsheba with Solomon their child who became the Wise King.

ConnarConnaralmost 4 years ago
Good Read!

But i‘m a little bit confused. In the begining Amelia mentions that Brett is 51. Later he says he was 24 when he met Fiona. Okay 27 years i get it. Later he that it happend 25 years ago and the end it‘s 23 years ago.

GrandPaMGrandPaMalmost 4 years ago

I'm not normally a fan of cheaters at all, but in a rare case like this one...Yup - still dead wrong, morally, buuuuttt...I'll excuse it for decent cause in a case such as this. Yeah, yeah. a big mush-hearted(/headed?) softie, I know.

Full marks!

dc6370dc6370almost 4 years ago

Just simply wow. Outstanding story.

tkh3nkey2110tkh3nkey2110almost 4 years ago
Wonderful love story

Truly two ships passing in the night. I loved it. *****

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago

Sequel, sequel, sequel!

mcollectmcollectalmost 4 years ago
Wow

Great writing, great story any more coming?

shopratshopratalmost 4 years ago

Wow, what a wonderful story. Just a fantastic piece of writing. The best of lit is amazing, and this is story in the top one percent of the top one percent! We need a sequel please!

OvercriticalOvercriticalalmost 4 years ago
A True Romance

Sure you could see this end coming early on in the story, but that didn't diminish the build up or the finale. Considering the difference in their worlds and their experiences you wonder how full time life together would work, but who cares. This is FantasyLand and we all love it. 5* for sure.

SpencerfictionSpencerfictionalmost 4 years ago
Oh yes!

Very nice, well done.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Overcritical is hypocritical!

Here he says it’s predictable and gives you five stars. On other stories he grades down for predictability. You are so lucky.

Nice story, by the way.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
I love this story, but...

I, too, have a couple of just minor quibbles. Eric could NOT inherit the title of Duke of Ipswich because he was the late Duke's son-in-law and not his son (and yes, I know it's not a real duchy, but let's keep the rules the same, just as they are for every other story).

Assuming that Fiona is an only child, she can't inherit the title herself after her father dies because, apart from the Queen, you can't have female Dukes (sexist, I know, but those are the rules), and the title of Duchess can only be used by the wife of a Duke. Fiona would remain as Lady Fiona. However, Bradly, as the late Duke's closest male descendant, CAN inherit the title, as there's no doubt that he is that man's grandson (if he didn't exist, the title would go to the late Duke's oldest living brother or, if deceased, the brother's oldest living son, and so and so on).

My other slight peeve is the quote about "lay back and think of England." The actual wording is "lie back..."

But seriously, apart from that, I thought this was an absolutely terrific story. If you want to add more, feel free!

OlgreyfoxOlgreyfoxalmost 4 years ago
WOW, Great Story

I LOVE this story. Right up my oldfartcurmudgeon romantic thoughts. There is another story along this vein to read by THE WANDERER, called "just my luck". If any of your readers enjoyed your romantic tale I suggest reading the story I mentioned.

KUDOS for a well written tale of romance on the high seas.

UltimateHomeBodyUltimateHomeBodyalmost 4 years ago

Had me at the tuna salad.

rodryder44rodryder44almost 4 years ago
Gobsmacked!

The story is deliciously long. Sweet ending.

tiercenpttiercenptalmost 4 years ago

as for all good stories it was too short...jk

it was almost perfect.

I personally would've liked to learn more about the first exchange at his house (this part a little longer, not directly steering into the Storytelling how he and their mum met. Little "realistic"; "You are my son & daughter?" type of interaction, etc).

But that's just nitpicking.

lovely story & fun to read

HarddaysknightHarddaysknightalmost 4 years ago
This is a very nice romance.

Well written and romantic as hell. Nice job.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Bravo!

This is a story that had me enthralled from the time he opened the door for them!

teedeedubteedeedubalmost 4 years ago
So long

as he who waiteth worketh like Hell while he waiteth. Great story. Thanks for sharing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Damn !!

Title says it all!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Explosively happy ending

... and I’m a sucker for happy endings.

Good story, nice twist with the different times. And a nice dialogue too!

KRD19254KRD19254almost 4 years ago

OK, this shall be a classic; brovo-zulu.

I did see this ending coming, but who cares, still draws happy tears.

Interesting about Royals, we in the colonies would not know - educational.

*

7* (for the seven seas) Hooyah, salute - from an imperial exalted royal crusty Shellback!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Bravo Zulu as well

Yes.. absolutely great story. You left this retired sailor in tears at the end...happy tears. We all wanted that great love affair while cruising the world. Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Love happy endings.

I was hoping for this ending as I read it. I am a real sucker for the romance.

texquilltexquillalmost 4 years ago

This is another five star example of why Jezzaz is one of my favorite authors. Thanks for sharing the great work.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
wow

I loved it.

Sad but great ending.

I would have liked the ending a bit longer though.

And just a point, once anyone sees his eyes, they will know the children are his, that should have been worked into the ending as well.

katibkatibalmost 4 years ago
Unfair

This story should have won the contest!

AhazuraAhazuraalmost 4 years ago

Incredibly well written story! Thank you for sharing

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Sea Stories (Nautical Fairytales)

At sea. Long days and nights on the watch. The stories get better with each retelling.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
B.F.A.

Brilliant.

Fantastic.

Amazing.

5* for each.

5*

UndrApprctdUndrApprctdalmost 4 years ago
Wow, That Was Amazing...

Thought I was reading a StangStar. One of the top ten I've ever read here. Should consider making into a screenplay. GREAT JOB!

LeFrog08LeFrog08almost 4 years ago
Wow, what a nice tale.

I really enjoyed this,

from an author I enjoy.

My thanks go to him.

LeFrog.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Just a quick point to remember next time you write a story about someone from the UK

People from Britain NEVER refer to themselves as 'British'; they use their own national identities, so someone from Britain/the United Kingdom is either Welsh, Scots, English, or Northern Irish, depending on which part of the United Kingdom they're from, they never use a catch-all 'I'm British', there's no such creature. I'm English, my wife is Welsh, she'd be both bemused and offended to be called 'British', that's not at all how she views her national or ethnic identity; she's Welsh, first, foremost, and always.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Tears in my eyes

I’ve now read a few of this author’s stories, and they have brought tears to my eyes more than once. Don’t know how, usually I’m just an old curmudgeon. Great stories, all.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Very well done

I really enjoyed the story. The best part was that they're not THAT old and could have many, many years together. Well played.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
wonderful romance

and the having fiona fly to the reunion...

green117green117almost 4 years ago
Well, now...

I was kinda amused, in several ways.

I tend to think of you as back in the LW marsh... here, we do have a married woman and her lover... but still, not the same.

I also think this is rather Georgette Heyer-ish - the only one I read all the way through was all about the heroine doing her best to make the wicked male lead debauch her...

Lots of pluck. And lots of spunk. Gallons and Gallons of Spunk. The only way I can think of that would make it better would have been some indication of wickedness on the part of the male lead.

Good job. I can hear the crunch, crunch, crunch of the expectations of those of us looking for strong female characters... glad I saw this in the June list.

Green-something

chiefhalchiefhalalmost 4 years ago

First I've read of this author's stories. Thoroughly enjoyed it, the theme kind of parallels my life. Good things DO come to those who wait...

KlitomaticKlitomaticalmost 4 years ago
No Words

What can I say that 57 other readers haven't said already. Raise the sails, and off to another adventure.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
one of the very best ...

Absolutely one of the very best stories I have read on Literotica.

valkoinenvalkoinenalmost 4 years ago

A beautiful story well told. Thank you for sharing it.

Freddog6601Freddog6601almost 4 years ago
Superb

Excellent in all aspects.

Thank you for another great story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
Lovely and believable

I spent some time at sea and shared my bunk with some female passengers. Ships that passed in the night, all bar one who I still remember sixty years later, so I totally understand his memories, only in my case it is I who was married. Happily I still am, but till my dying day there will always be a "what if?"

Well written and, for me, very evocative of a seaboard love affair

10sguy10sguyalmost 4 years ago
Terrific!

This is, without a doubt, one of the most enjoyable stories on Literotica. I loved everything about it, but most of all the characters themselves. Well written! I can't wait to read your next story.

Ravey19Ravey19almost 4 years ago
Wonderful

Extremely well written and had me read it through in one sitting. In some ways I wish it would be longer but in the end the conclusion was what I wanted so cannot argue the toss.

Loved the Britishness (does that word exist) of it explaining the differences between UK and US English. A wonderful romantic story. 5 stars.

RangeExpanderRangeExpanderalmost 4 years ago

What an absolutely sweet and enjoyable story! Quirky, romantic, sexy, fun thank you

Robyn1859Robyn1859almost 4 years ago
Wow!

Fantastic, adorable story. .... and the perfect ending!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Fantastic

One of the all time greats on this site ! Bravo !

Let’s have some more , magical stuff this .

dgfergiedgfergieover 3 years ago
Great Story

I have read many great romance stories on LIT since me wife passed last year and I am always surprised at the quality and understanding of the writers. Thank you all for the wonderful stories that remind me of my lost love.

jezzazjezzazover 3 years agoAuthor

“ People from Britain NEVER refer to themselves as 'British';”

Just saw this and had to comment.

Yeaaaahhhh, I AM British. I live in the states now, but Kentish Man, born and bred. So yeah, we certainly do refer to ourselves as British, particularly when abroad.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT ....

Masterful!

May be the one of (if not) the best Romantic submissions ever to Literotica!

Thank you Jezzaz!!!

PartlyPartlyover 3 years ago
A real romance story

A very nicely told story with a wonderful end. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Love it!

Excellent storyline, and very well-written.

johntc24johntc24over 3 years ago
Excellent

captivating story, couldn't put it down. Great writing, Thanks

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Excellent!

Very well written. I enjoyed it tremendously. Very good balance in emotions and intrigue.

BobLee7BobLee7over 3 years ago
Goodness!

Loved your story. I don’t know if it’s just me, but I’m drawn to smart, “clever” women.

So, thank you for her.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Royal bashing fun

@Jezzaz

As a fellow Englishman living abroad, I like you do tend to refer to myself as British, yet would respectfully suggest that any self respecting Scotsman (or Welsh/Irish) would certainly never deign to refer to themselves as being British, and would always place their country of birth first.

I did love your almost ‘sotto voce’ dismissal of the Royal family as bumbling idiots - I can almost hear Jock the Scotsman’s opinions on the ‘idiot aristocrat who thinks she can sail’....

5* all the way from me

VdB

LeFrog08LeFrog08over 3 years ago

Still an excellent tale, even thru

this second reading...

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
A thought:

This would make a great movie script, done with flashbacks. You could have the same actress, with makeup changes play the mother and the daughter. You could produce the heterochromia with a colored contact lenses. The only challenge would be to find a good "twin."

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Amazing and Oh No!

It’s the middle of the night, 4.30am. And I was so swept up in your story that I couldn’t stop reading. And when I got to the end, my reaction was - Oh No!! It’s like a cliffhanger at the end of your favorite episode, you want to know what happened next .. just a few more lines, to see how they wrap up. Pretty please!!

ealexerealexerover 3 years ago
A work of art.

I can not find words that are sufficient to praise the work you have done in creating this.

Really.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Great Story

One of the very best I’ve read in a long while. Thank you for it. I loved it. Definitely a Five Star effort.

jmmj5jmmj5over 3 years ago

Well done.

I've had this bookmarked for months, and finally got around to it. I'm very glad I did.

Thanks for sharing. 5*

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Woaw

After a slow start I couldn't stop, I had to know more, then so sad when I realized I had came to the end, my imagination is filling in the rest of their life's right now, thank you for this, can't wait to read more of your work.

Cracker270Cracker270over 3 years ago
Wow

What a great story. Read it so fast I know I must have missed stuff. Guess I will have to reread it. And the rest of your stuff.

SkubabillSkubabillover 3 years ago

Great 5 star story. I'm already looking forward to rereading it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Hmmm.

I enjoyed the story but I wish you Americans would get your facts right about the Royal Family and the aristocracy. They are mostly not related to the Queen, although some are, and most of them are pretty normal and no more special than anyone else. It’s pretty much an accident of birth and most do not display any better morals, manners or duty than the average man in the street, often far worse in fact. Many of them act as if they are privileged and special, which they are not.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Wrong vernacular

Nice story, but......... This was set on a US Merchant Marine ship. The wording was all wrong. For example, the designated medical officer is the Chief Mate and definitely not an AB seaman. You have the lady eating in the crew mess. Never happen, she would be eating in the officer's mess, i.e. the saloon. By the way, I went off to merchant marine school in 1966 and retired as chief engineer in 1999. So, I do have some experience. Once, a cousin was going to write a Great Novel about the sea. He sent me a synopsis and I explained reality to him. Reality did not suit him.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Can't wait for the next chapter

I hope that you are going to continue the story with their cruise.

jezzazjezzazover 3 years agoAuthor

“but I wish you Americans would get your facts right about the Royal Family and the aristocracy. ”

I’m British, born in Canterbury. I didn’t come to the US till I was in my 20’s.

I’m well aware most aren’t related to the queen. Her family is German. It was more about the ‘Family’ of aristocracy, with a capital F, than the blood line.

campomancampomanover 3 years ago

You write one helluva good story, I loved it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

The story is well written sure but it tries to gloss over the fact that the guy 'finally' got a woman well past her prime, who he forever pined for but didn't have the balls to forget and actually fall in love with another woman. And I don't mean comforting each other as is depicted in the story, I mean a full on romance, a love strong enough for him to say no to Fiona. Because she's at best an aristo-trash, at worst a shallow human being who'd throw away her love for recognition from a tyrannical system that is frankly sickening to see being glorified as 'Royal and posh'.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
"This is for real, right?"

"What is this romance?" she mused.

"Ah, that’s the question. I’ve never come across a definition that satisfied me, though there are some very good ones"—he glanced in the direction of his books.

"It’s not altogether knowing the other person, perhaps—it’s ignorance," she hazarded.

"Some authorities say it’s a question of distance—romance in literature, that is—"

Virginia Woolf, Night and Day (1919)

cementhead35cementhead35over 3 years ago

My GOD, how well-written!!! Thanks!

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Best I have read on literotica - and other sea literature as well

Wonderful story. Old school, romantic as hell! Dear writer, I would encourage you to continue writing. Seriously good and enjoyable stuff! Made me wish I was the sailor!

A cut above most of the literary efforts in Literotica - seriously!

Jim

SWT3SWT3over 3 years ago
What a story!

This story has gone to the top of my list, returning me to romance. Thank you.

SWT3SWT3over 3 years ago
A tale that brought romance back to my life

I found this story to be engaging both as a tale of recovery and an expression of the nature of romance. It awakened my appreciation of romance that comes out of two souls connecting and bringing out the best in each. The passionate sex wasn't bad either. Thank you.

I hope you will continue to write. If so, I will continue to read.

nkdoldmannkdoldmanover 3 years ago
A long but wonderful story! Reading it is strongly suggested!!

This is a love story like no other I have read. It is sad in spots, erotic in others, and very happy in others yet. I loved it, and highly recommend to anyone wjho enjoys an excellent Romance.

Grimjack01Grimjack01over 3 years ago
Very nice

Very romantic story of duty and love found, lost then found again, very good.

GoesGruntGoesGruntover 3 years ago

No matter how happy the ending, the story was heart braking. And wonderfully told.

Thank you for sharing it...

dauberdauberover 3 years ago
This brought tears to my eyes

And I rarely shed tears. Thanks for a fantastic read.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago
Really great story!!

A really nice story - wonderfully written! Thanks so much for sharing with us.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userjezzaz@jezzaz
I don’t know why this bit exists? Like I’m gonna tell you about myself.

SIMILAR Stories