Guardian Devil

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"What?" Mason let out a shocked shout. "You're letting her in?"

"Mason, don't be so rude. She just needs help with homework. You can certainly do that." She then turned to Iskra, "Please, forgive him. He's just been out of sorts ever since he got home."

"That's okay," Iskra smiled. "I won't judge him based on today."

"Aw, such a sweet girl," Diane put a hand to her chin. "Can I get you something to drink? Soda or juice?"

"But, Mom?" Mason whined as he clutched the chair in front of him, awestruck at what he was witnessing.

"Mason, mind your manners." Diane gave Mason a look that he was all too familiar with seeing. It was the "You're-in-deep-shit" look. It was a look he hadn't seen since he was ten years old when he accidently set fire to the living room carpet while working on a science experiment. "Now show this wonderful girl to your room and help her with her homework."

All Mason could do was give a slight nod. He took two steps back before he felt resigned to his fate. "Right this way, Iskra."

"You two kids have fun."

Mason was in his room, standing in the furthest corner from the door. Every step Iskra took was announced with a slight creak from the floor in the hallway. It was as if the sounds were his own personal death taps. With one final creak, she was standing at his door.

"What do you want from me?"

Iskra bit her lower lip. Now that she had Mason alone she was unsure how to proceed. She stared at him before offering a quick shoulder shrug. "I really do only want to have sex with you."

"Girls don't just say that... Not to me, anyway." Mason stared her down. "Why me, huh? What do you get out of all of this?"

Iskra didn't know how to respond; so she walked forward, each step full of nervousness, until she was standing directly in front of him. She looked up at him with scared doe eyes, "Don't you want to have sex with me?"

"No." Mason walked past her and sat down in his computer chair.

"What? Why not?"

"It's obvious you don't want to." Mason pushed the power button and his computer began to hum to life. "I think someone is making you do this to either make fun of me, to torture you, or both; and I won't give them the satisfaction. So you can go back to wherever you came from and tell them I said, 'No'."

Iskra sat on the bed, her head in her hands as tears cascaded down her cheeks. "I'll never be a proper devil." Her words were muffled, barely audible and meant just for her as she began sobbing. A few minutes passed before she felt a touch, altough it was occurring the entire time. It was gentle and soothing, a light circular motion on her back. She sniffled back her tears and opened her eyes to find her head was burrowed into Mason's chest, his t-shirt damp from her crying. "I'm sorry."

"It's all right." Mason patted her back as he stood, moving back to the computer chair. "But you should go now. Tell Satan I said, 'No'."

Iskra stared bewildered at the boy. "How did you know my father is Satan?"

"What?" Mason sat in complete shock, mouth agape, body paralyzed shock.

"How did you know?"

"You... you were... you were being serious?" Mason gulped at the knowledge and subconsciously scooted backward until the chair hit his desk. "I heard you mutter something about a devil, so I was just playing on your words. I thought you meant the person forcing you to make fun of me was like a devil, not THE Devil."

"Oops," Iskra fell back onto the bed, one arm splayed across the mattress while the other lay across her eyes.

"You're joking, right?"

Iskra rubbed her forehead. "Well, no use in being uncomfortable." She snapped her fingers and her outfit drastically changed. Blue jeans, sneakers, and a black tank top with a white, unbuttoned over-shirt appeared in place of her slutty ensemble.

"AH!" Mason shrieked as he stood to run. He took a step toward the door but, in his consternation, he tripped over the chair on which he had been sitting. It and he tumbled unceremoniously to the hardwood floor.

Iskra sat up at the commotion, "Are you okay?" She knelt down and removed the chair from Mason's entangled feet before offering her hand, "Here, let me help you up?"

Mason scooted away from her until his back hit with a small thud against the wall.

Iskra offered him a slight smile and a look full of sympathy, "Please, don't be afraid, Mason. I won't hurt you."

"But you're a dev... ev" Mason's voice faltered, still disbelieving the truth.

"Devil." Iskra shook her head, "But not a very good one."

"What does that mean?"

Iskra sat back onto the bed, "It means my father sent me here to prove my worth as a devil...and I failed." Her head then hung low and her voice cracked barely above a whisper, "I always fail."

Mason sat silently, digesting what was said. He didn't know what to make of the downtrodden devil sitting meekly on his bed. He had to restrain his chuckle when he realized there was not much difference to the emotions of humans and devils. "You failed...but failure doesn't define you. You are still a devil."

"But..." Iskra looked up with uneasy eyes and was met with an empathetic smile.

"And believe me, I understand about wanting to please your dad. Mine wanted me to follow him in his footsteps at his garage. Even had the name changed to Gary and Son Auto Shop. It took me a couple of years before I had the nerve to tell him I wanted to be a computer programmer. He was pissed at first, and still kind of is; but I'm heading to State University on a full scholarship...and it isn't for auto repair." Mason stared deep into Iskra's black eyes. "Worth is based on what is perceived as worth your time. So what do you really like to do?"

"Me?" Iskra put a hand to her chest. "No one's ever asked me that before."

"I'm asking."

"Um... I guess," and the corners of her mouth arched slightly upward as she spoke, "I like animals. I have a pet canine named Cerberus."

"Cerberus?" Mason stared bewildered at the girl. "The three-headed, serpent-tailed-dog-that-stands-guard-so-the-living-don't- enter-the-Land-of-the-Dead, Cerberus?

"Yeah, he's my best friend." Iskra nodded her head, "I'm actually impressed you knew of him." She then caught sight of Mason's shocked continence. "What's wrong?"

Mason ran a hand through his hair, "I'm not sure why that surprised me, considering you're a devil." He then moved to his desk chair. "So, why not become a veterinarian?"

"A veterinarian?" Iskra sat in thought before a smile pursed her lips. "I'd like that."

"So, you're leaving and becoming a veterinarian?"

Iskra tilted her head with an amused smile, "Um, no... I can't go back now. Father will know."

"So where are you going to stay?"

"Here, of course."

"WHAT?" Mason flailed his arms out wide. "No way!"

"Well, if I don't, Father will come looking for me and this will be the first place he'll check, since this is where I'm supposed to be?" Iskra then chuckled, "Do you really want Satan to come to your home for a visit?"

Mason sat there as if he were a deer caught in headlights. His eyes were glazed over and his mouth moved a little but no words were able to be formed.

"Hey, guys, I thought you two might enjoy some refreshments while you study," Diane stood at the door holding a tray that carried two glasses of lemonade and a bag of pretzel rods.

Iskra glanced over, smiled, and then snapped her fingers.

Diane smiled back, "And, Iskra, I just spoke with your father, and he said there was an out of state work emergency. He wanted to know if you could stay here for a while. I told him that it wasn't a problem. We'd love to have you stay with us for as long as you need. I already set up the guest bedroom for you. So, welcome to the family!" She set the tray down on the desk next to Mason. "Well, I'll let you two get back to your homework. Dinner will be ready soon. We're having spaghetti tonight."

Mason stared bewildered at Iskra. Everything seemingly was moving at the speed of light and he couldn't keep up. Finally, in a feeble whisper, he was able to mutter, "Did my mother really just have a conversation with Satan."

"No." Iskra stood and made her way to the offered refreshments. "That was me. Devils can't change free will. That's why I couldn't force you to have sex with me; that would have to be your choice, but we can change perception. For instance, I needed your Mom to agree to allow me to stay here. To do that, I implemented the idea that she had talked to my father. Your mother is a naturally caring person, and she agreed to that perception."

Mason rubbed his forehead, "What do you want from me?"

"I just need some time to figure out how to explain it to my father, that's all." Iskra stood and reached for a glass of lemonade, "Until then, I'll stay here. I can even help you, if you want."

"Help me? How can you help me?"

"I'm a devil, Mason. And devil's work in granting humans desires in exchange for their souls. But since I'll be staying with you, we'll call it even. I don't need your soul."

"My soul! If I had had sex with you, you would have taken my soul!" Mason's eyes went wide and his complexion went pale in abject horror.

"Well, duh," Iskra chuckled and then saw Mason's expression. "Relax. I'm not going to do anything. Remember, I'm going to be a veterinarian now. I'll just help you out since you helped me. Thank you for that."

Mason just stared at her, concerned over his eternity.

Iskra gave an expression full of comfort, "I promise. No one will hurt you. Not even me."

Mason stared a moment longer before shaking his head, "I don't think I did anything to help you."

"Nonsense." Iskra smiled, "You've made me realize what I really want with my life, and now I want to help you do the same. So, what do you want?"

Mason's thoughts immediately went to Kristen Petry. He ran his hand through his hair as he shyly responded, "Well, there's this girl..."

*

The cafeteria was a bustling, raucous environment. Some students were in line for a slice of pizza that more closely resembled cardboard. A small group was huddled at one of the tables in the back enmeshed in a roleplaying game. But most were at their tables, loudly discussing the inconsequential elements they deemed important to their high school lives.

As Mason and Iskra sat at their empty table, Mason's palms were sweaty in nervous anticipation.

"Don't worry," Iskra chuckled, as she patted Mason on the back. "I told you I'll fix it to where she'll say, 'Yes'."

Mason just glanced at Iskra through the corner of his eye, before his stare returned to Kristen Petry, a vision in her short skirt and white blouse. "I believe what you said was 'I'll make sure she has fond memories of you and that should have her wanting to date you.' That leaves a lot of room for her free will to say, 'No way'."

Iskra gave a reassuring smile, though it went unseen. "Mason... Just go over there and ask her out for this Friday. I'll take care of it."

"Says the person who herself admits that she's not a good devil," Mason playfully grinned.

"Hey," Iskra gave a minor look of shock coupled with a smile at the unexpected verbal jab.

Mason stood with a deep breath, "Well, here goes nothing."

Mason's steps, slow at first, became even more so as he came closer to the girl of his fantasies.

Iskra looked on in amusement at Mason's demeanor. All the information she had on the teenager showed him to be a good guy; and now she found herself rooting for him...a far cry from when she was trying to steal his soul. Still, helping him felt far better to her than the latter, and she hoped her plan would work. She smiled as she raised her hand to snap her fingers.

"Hey there, Sexy," Wade grabbed Iskra's hand and moved it to her other hand, not relinquishing either as he sat down. "I thought I'd give you another chance to be with the most popular guy at this school... Did I mention I drive a BMW? Yeah, I have money. How about you ditch that dweeb and we go to my place? I have a hot tub out back."

*

"So, what do you say, Kristen? Would you like to go out this Friday?" Mason stood before the cheerleading beauty, unconsciously twiddling his thumbs.

Kristen briefly stared at Mason in shock. 'Did what she think just happen, really happen? Did this dork really just ask her on a date?' She stood, knowing she needed a quick response to save her reputation; and that response came with a thunderous smack of her palm against Mason's cheek. "Take a look at me...then take a look at yourself. Now ask yourself why would I ever date something so pathetic? Get lost, loser." She smugly smiled as she sat back down, thoroughly happy with herself.

Mason was fighting a losing battle with the tears that were beginning to well up in his eyes. He desperately wanted to hide...to get away from the stares of the people he was forced to call classmates. 'What made me think I could trust a devil?' His head was low as he turned around. He took a few steps back in the direction from which he came, using the back of his hand to wipe at his eyes before glancing toward Iskra.

*

"Get off of me," Iskra was squirming, desperately trying to get out of Wade's grasp as he now had one arm around her body, his hand clutching her waist while the other still bound her hands.

"You know you want it, Sexy." Wade sneered evilly as he pulled her body closer.

In an instant, Mason knew what had gone wrong with Iskra's plan. "Wade... That Bastard."

Gone were Mason's tears, replaced by an icy gaze. He stormed over to where Wade was manhandling Iskra. "Excuse me, but I believe she told you to get lost." Though he stood defiant, Mason had no idea where this bravado was coming from, nor did he have a plan after that first sentence. He just knew he had to intervene somehow.

Wade cocked his head in annoyance at being interrupted. Anger swept through his body once he found out who was interrupting. He stood slowly... deliberately...while staring down the nerd. His eyes were full of intimidation as he cracked his knuckles, "And what are you going to do about it?"

Mason gulped, almost resigning himself to his fate.

Iskra let out a sigh of relief, grateful to have use of her hands. She quickly snapped her fingers.

Wade flexed his fist before looking around. He saw Counselor Phillips staring intently at the scene. Wade knew if he continued, at the very least a suspension would occur. His parents would certainly take his car away for that. "You're lucky right now, but know that I am going to kick your ass... Soon." He finished by shoving Mason in the chest before walking toward Kristen. "You won't believe what that dork said to me. If it weren't for Counselor Phillips watching, I would have pounded him then and there."

Mason let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding as he plopped down in the seat next to Iskra. He shook his head and wiped at his brow before his focus returned to the beauty seated next to him. His relieved expression quickly changed to one of sympathetic caring. He would rather spend a lifetime of getting pounded by that jerk than spend one second being the object of his lust. "Are you all right, Iskra?"

Iskra's gaze was downtrodden as she met Mason's worried stare, "Sorry I couldn't help with Kristen."

"Really?" Mason was taken aback. "After what just happened, that's what you're concerned about?" He shook his head, "That's nothing. What about you? Did that asshole hurt you?"

"No, I'm fine. I'll just have to be aware of his presence and I'll stop him before he tries anything again." Iskra gave the saddest frown, "But I had promised to help you and I failed. I'm sorry."

"Listen, I don't care about that. We can try some other time." Mason stood and offered his hand with a warm smile. "Though I've never skipped before, let's get out of here. I think we can both use a break from this place."

Iskra responded with a simple smile as she placed her palm in his.

*

It was an unusually hot day for September, as a heat wave caused the temperature to climb throughout all of the city of Hilldale. The tall trees offered some shade but seemed to let out a sigh of relief themselves when even the slightest breeze would pass through. The sidewalk, complete with several cracked imperfections from their use, presented a heat shimmer mirage in the distance as Iskra and Mason slowly made their journey home.

"Sure is hot today," Mason wiped at the sweat accumulating on his brow as he interrupted their feet clacking silence the two were sharing.

"This is nothing. You should see where I live."

Mason gave a small chuckle, "No thanks. I believe you." He paused a few moments before continuing, "Do you mind if I ask what happened back there?"

Iskra made a quick look toward Mason, "Back where?"

"The cafeteria." Mason's eyebrows scrunched as if deep in thought. "You said you'll have to be aware of Wade's presence and you'll be able to take care of him. But what about today? Why couldn't you take care of it today?"

Iskra stopped in her tracks, ashamed of herself. She took a deep breath, not really wanting to admit the awful truth. "I can't use my powers without snapping my fingers." Her head was held low as she continued. "All of the other devils can just conjure what they need. My Father is the best, and my siblings are great at it too; but me...I need that catalyst. And that prick stopped me just by grabbing my hands. I told you I wasn't a good devil."

Mason put his hand to her chin and lifted it to where their eyes could meet. "Actions are what dictate good from bad. You've learned from your mistake and will be aware next time. Learning from failure will make you a great devil."

Though Mason was holding her chin, Iskra glanced away, "Thank you."

Mason moved his hand to wrap around her shoulder, "Now, c'mon, let's get home and into air conditioning."

*

There was a gentle rapping coming from the door. Mr. Dawson, old and quirky in nature, turned from his monotone monologue about news stories never being objective and to beware how the government spins the information given to the public which had nothing to do with the wonderful characteristics an earthworm possesses...the focus of today's lecture. He shouted a very irritated, "Come in" at being interrupted.

The very awkward-looking blonde-haired teen, Penelope Sanders, pushed up her black-rimmed glasses before opening the door. She held a yellow slip of paper in her right hand and gulped at the ornery old teacher, "Counselor Phillips needs to see Wade Harvey."

Mr. Dawson glanced over his bifocals to the back row at Wade, "Come on, son. I don't have all day to wait for you. Get going."

Wade stood and practically strutted out the classroom, "Get a grave, old timer." It was said loud enough for the students to hear, but soft enough that Mr. Dawson didn't, even though he was closer, and the class erupted in laughter.

*

"Thanks, Penelope, I'll see you tomorrow." Counselor Phillips smiled and gave a quick nod toward the teen; and Penelope knew she was no longer needed, which meant some extra time in the library. "Have a seat, Wade," Counselor Phillips closed the door behind him as Wade took a seat in the black, hard cushioned chair that was offered.

"So what's this about, Phillips?" With an arrogant smile, Wade put his hands behind his head and his feet upon the desk.

"I like you Wade," Counselor Phillips started. "You're arrogant, display a sense of entitlement, a problem with authority, and I love how manipulative you are with girls. I mean, what you did to your twelve year old cousin was just phenomenal."

Wade's smile deteriorated, not knowing how Counselor Philips knew something he had told no one. His feet came down from their restful position, landing on the floor with a thud. He decided to play dumb, "What are you talking about?"